We are one of the few dental offices in Northern Virginia to offer this revolutionary treatment option for the management of tooth decay. Silver Diamine Fluoride, otherwise known as SDF, is an antimicrobial liquid that can treat cavities in a non-invasive, fast, affordable, and painless manner.
Patients who have active tooth decay may be eligible for an alternative treatment that uses Silver Diamine Fluoride. In August of 2014, the FDA approved SDF as it became commercially available to dental professionals in April of 2015 as Advantage Arrest by Elevate Oral Care. In comparison to a traditional filling, which may require shots of local anesthetic and drilling of tooth structure. SDF is non-invasive and more comfortable for the patient. During this treatment, a topical medicine is painted on the tooth where the cavity is located to stop current decay and prevent new decay in the future.
● Can stop tooth decay
● Help prevent recurrent decay
● Permanently stains cavities black
● Does not restore tooth form or function (large holes that trap food may still eventually require traditional restorations)
● Requires repeat application for maximum efficacy
● Can not be used in the presence of infection or decay into the nerve
Looking to read more evidence based articles on the mechanisms and benefits of SDF? Click the links provided below.
Effectiveness of silver diamine fluoride and sodium fluoride varnish in arresting dentin caries in Chinese pre-school children